Inspiring Leaders. Building Our Legacy.
By Angie Naniot Ahrens, Beta Eta, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
As the director of events and programming for Sigma Kappa, I have the pleasure of looking forward to convention all year long; sometimes, even years before it is announced. Convention is an event that NHQ staff and national volunteers plan for many months prior to the membership learning about all the great events. This year will be no different - everyone will have something to look forward to!
Collegians may look forward to meeting Sigma Kappas from other chapters or traveling across the country for the first time. Alumnae have an opportunity to continue building relationships with sisters they have known for years as well as making new friendships - this is only the tip of the iceberg. Alumnae members have incredible opportunities to look forward to with two alumnae-specific convention registration options, RECONNΣΚT and Leadership for Life.
Here are a few things that alumnae can anticipate:
- Welcome Reception (Wednesday, July 11): A new style of welcome for Sigma Kappa. Attendees get a chance to meet national council on Wednesday night, as well the perfect opportunity to mix and mingle with other Sigma Kappa members. There is no formal sit-down meal, but members will be able to grab some appetizers and visit with sisters from across the country.
- Alumnae Specific Programming (Thursday, July 12): The alumnae spoke and the alumnae team listened. This specific programming for alumnae caters to everyone. Whether you are involved as an alumnae chapter member or one of thousands of alumnae just looking to keep up with your college organization, this is a great time to reconnect with Sigma Kappa.
- Initiation (Friday, July 13): Words cannot describe seeing more than 650 Sigma Kappas gather in one place to celebrate our ritual together. It is breathtaking!
- Alumnae Showcase (Saturday, July 14): The perfect way to speak one-on-one with other alumnae chapter members about new ideas to share with each other. Not involved in an alumnae chapter? This is the perfect way to discover a chapter near you, as well as see what the alumnae team has in store.
- Business Meetings (specifically, Sunday, July 15): The reveal of the next convention location screams anticipation. Plus, there is something exciting about seeing sisters come together to decide the future of the organization. Don’t be concerned if you aren’t a full-time voting delegate; any Sigma Kappa can attend business meeting.
These are the things that the staff and I are most looking forward to. What about you? What are you most looking forward to about national convention?